Thursday, September 22, 2011

I Love the Smell of Pumpkin in the Morning



Am I the only one who waits anxiously all year for pumpkin flavored treats to pop up again? Does anyone else possess a peppermint palate or a gingerbread gusto? 

Let's face it the old standards are around all year long; chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, carrot, lemon...and don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of these flavors. And clearly there is a reason they are in for the long haul. But there is something sweet about an old familiar essence arriving at my local coffee house or favorite bakery. Boy am I thrilled the wait is finally over.



For instance, this morning I tasted my first Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha and I was delighted, you can't get that at Eastertime. Admitting the free coffee postcard I received in the mail was addressed to a "Beata Cuffee", and she probably would have enjoyed the coffee as well as I did if she truly did exist. But as luck would have it, the card arrived at my house and my coffee nickname became "Bee" for the morning. 

I'm the type of person who will drift from milk chocolate in search of some seasonal savory. I'll pop an eggnog treat or two, and have even tried a fruitcake in the past. 


And I do agree that these periodic pals are more than welcomed, they are some of the scents and tastes that help define a season. Without the balance of nature, we'd be eating pumpkin muffins all year long and would have nothing to look forward to in the fall. I'll go along with it and I'll even raise my glass of spiked apple cider to prove it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment